Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Masa Sushi & Hibachi Grill - Review

I've been going to Masa for quite a few years now. Never have I been disappointed. That's saying a lot. I've been there dozens of times at this point, and even bringing a few first dates there knowing full well that I could rely on the staff to make a great evening, and that only I would mess things up ;)

Tonight was no exception.

I took pictures, see below.

Seared tuna over cucumbers and soy
If you didn't know it was tuna, you would think it was a rare steak with the flavors placed over the top. This isn't the first time I've had this, and I hope it won't be the last.

King crab and Asparagus wrapped in rice, seaweed, and medium rare steak
So many flavors that paired well. The woodiness of the asparagus, mixed with the richness of King Crab, and the awesomeness of steak over top.

Salmon belly over rice
Absolutely decadent and rich, this salmon belly was a real treat

Seaweed wrapped salmon belly
A very humble looking piece of sushi, but don't be fooled! The flavor that popped into my mouth was amazing.

Salmon belly wrapped with seaweed and squid
I'm a big fan of squid, and this just made this already amazing feat of flavor that much better.

And I cannot believe it, but I didn't get the photo of the last dish that was handed to me over the sushi bar. He even came around to explain it to me. It was done in two pieces, one side was Super White Tuna (which come to find out isn't tuna at all!) over rice with a sour lemon, garlic, and olive oil flavor enhancing sauce of deliciousness, the other was partially seared, thin sliced clam. You have no idea how amazing that was.

As you can see, much of this is not something you typically see hit your everyday sushi plate. These aren't the California rolls and Philladelphia rolls of the American sushi scene. These are authentic pieces of craftsmanship that were made for me tonight, and I got to hear some amazing stories and make a great connection with the big man in charge at Masa. It was a humbling experience to taste his favorite flavors, and his favorite things to create, and I will not soon forget it.

I cannot thank Jimmy, Amber, and the rest of the Masa crew enough for an amazing time tonight. They are always attentive, friendly, and all of this is why I go from my home to 20+ minutes away to get my sushi. I urge you to make the trek to 1707 South Willow St. in Manchester, NH.

And hey, don't forget to invite me! Suckas. Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment