Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Vermont Smoke and Cure Uncured Bacon - Review

Bacon. Not much more needs to be said. There is very little that cannot be made better without bacon (like beer, oddly enough, but perhaps that is another post).

Vermont Smoke and Cure Uncured Bacon


Today I tried the Vermont Smoke and Cure Bacon. This was the best bacon I have had to date. It tastes real. Nothing remotely artificial tasting about this, and that impresses me. Since realizing how bad nitrates and nitrites are, I have gone as far away from them as possible. In turn, I have been trying out every type of natural bacon I can find at my local markets without the unnecessary preservatives. I've had some decent ones, but this for sure takes the cake.

I was expecting a much sweeter flavor seeing that it was maple brined, but it really is very subtle. On the back you get notes of corn and a super balanced smoke flavor (I wouldn't be sad if there were a touch more smoke though). The meat to fat ratio is amazing too. You can tell that these weren't pigs raised to just get fat, but to be premium cuts of deliciousness.

While it is more pricy than my normal bacon, I think I will get it again when the need is there for some top-notch, porky, awesomeness. Thanks to the folks from Hinesburg, VT for a great product.

No comments:

Post a Comment