Monday, July 27, 2015

Moxy - Portsmouth - Review

Any of you who know me know that I have told you time and time again what Moxy is all about. It is my most favorite place to go to eat. Period. I've been many places. That speaks volumes.

The atmosphere is great. Decent music, plaid checkered button ups on the staff, and the kitchen is open for all to see as you walk by. The bar is just to the left when you walk in, and while they have a decent selection, I have some suggestions for whiskey offerings =). Water is brought to the table in tall glass bottles, and tealights on the tables. The staff is knowledgeable, nice, and help to round out the experience. The presentation is so great too! It comes out either on slate or wood boards.

This place is a foodies dream. Don't be turned off by that though if you aren't. You will absolutely enjoy every last bite. I promise.

The menu changes fairly regularly, but there are staples. This time around, I had the following:

Fresno Chili Cornbread with Maple Butter - a slight kick, and the butter is luxurious with enough salt and sweet to make it worth every scrape.
Crispy Rhode Island Calamari - again, great balance of salt on the breading of the calamari, with a nice sweet note of the relish underneath the abundant pile.
Beer Battered NH Shark Kabobs - imagine haddock and swordfish had a baby... a shaddock. Great flavor of a whitefish with a light oil note.
Beef Short Rib Marmalade - Haha. Best savory meal there as far as I'm concerned. Atop a crostini is a pile of shredded beef that is heaven in the mouth, complimented with a few chunks of blue cheese and homemade pickled onions. Holy deuce.
Bacon and Swiss Chard Stuffed Sweet Peppers - While this was good, I was expecting something a touch different. There was less swiss chard than I thought there would be, and it had a bread stuffing with some bacon mixed in. It was good, the horseradish cream was light but tasty.
Flying Goat Farm Camembert - This was incredible. A blueberry and honey compote smeared on the board, small wedges of cheese mixed with asparagus ends (scapes) and fennel.
Whoopie Pie Sliders - I'm fairly certain that they had to sell their souls to gain this recipe. THE BEST thing I think I have ever had. They appear small, but what you are given is way more than enough due to the richness of the cake, frosting, and chocolate sauce.

Wow. I had a lot this time. I left uncomfortably full. It was juice worth the squeeze =).

I would recommend each and every thing that I had this time. It was the best batch of calamari and short ribs to-date. I've been there a dozen times. And the whoopie pies, you can never go wrong with the whoopie pies! I think I could live off of these two things for the rest of my life and be happy.

Getting back to the whiskey, I did try one there, Beat 3. It was really good. If you are into honey back notes, this is worth a try.

Bring your 'other' there. They will thank you for it later.

Then you will thank me.

Life will be good.

Peace out, suckas!

No comments:

Post a Comment