Thursday, June 25, 2015

Headfirst PMP - What I'm Reading

I don't have a lot of time to read, to be honest. I work a lot, run a freelance graphic design gig, go to the gym, and most importantly have family obligations with a super 6yo kid.

Well, that whole "I work a lot" statement changed a short while ago when I got laid off my full-time job due to "restructuring".

My goal is to get back into project management, and here is the thing: I believe I am good at it. The recommendations I received on LinkedIn from the clients I worked with verify my feeling. So, I didn't waste time. I got back out there and started looking for a new PM job where I could use my hard and soft skills to bring another business success, enthusiasm, and leadership.

Easier said than done. Many employers now-a-days require (or strongly recommend) that project managers have PMP (Project Management Professional) Certification. Instead of sulking, or trying to find a lower end job, I decided to go get the cert to advance my career and knowledge base.

Small problem though... I don't have enough hours in project management to even take the test! Son of a motherless goat!

Headfirst PMP TextbookA lack of hours can't stop this man-in-motion. I enrolled in the class regardless of my shortcoming (thanks Carl and the John Mason Institute) and am now 5 classes in, with another 4 to go. I tell you though, this is as tough a course as I've had since my science courses back in college. Lots of memorization of functions and processes and PMI terminology (oh my!). If you are devoted to the craft, I suggest that you find a way to make it happen. Don't come lacking in vigor and vim, though, you will need it to survive.

So, onto the textbook, or this month's (and probably next month's) reading material. It is 850 pages of hunka-hunka-burnin'-love. I find it fairly easy to follow along while the instructor does his thing. Not a bad choice. From what I understand, at the end of the course I will be getting another piece of 'literature' ... the PMBOK. The so-called Project Mangement Bible according to PMI. Perhaps I'll let you know what I think of it after I take the test. If I pass. And I'm still conscious.

All kidding aside, I look forward to finishing up this class. While it has absorbed a ton of my time, I truly feel as though it will end up being juice worth the squeeze (right Bryan?). I'm getting a ton of knowledge, and even if I do not take the test right away I have gained so much more than I would have otherwise. Regardless of where or what my next career opportunity is, there is no doubt that I'll be using everything I am learning. Win-win.

Moral of the story: Don't let your goals be stifled by speed bumps. Make it happen, peeps.

Rook out.

No comments:

Post a Comment