Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Not Your Father's Root Beer - Review

I had high hopes for this alcoholic root beer. I mean, root beer, at 6%. Bottoms up! ...Right?

Well, kind of.
Not Your Father's Root Beer Ale With The Taste of Spices

The root beer flavor that it has is decent. It's spicy and has pizzazz (can I still use that word?), but like the old-school root beer barrel candies it is way too sweet. You even get that artificial flavor aftertaste after it goes down. While that is great for nostalgia, my adult palate wants more. Think Virgil's Root Beer.

My input: make it half as sweet and it would be phenomenal! Due to its sweetness, the drink-ability factor goes down. After two bottles, my taste buds get sick of it and I start to get a twitch from the sugar rush. Not that having one is a bad thing, but hey, sometimes you want more. Am I right?

Pros: The vanilla flavor is good, and almost has a Madagascar vanilla bourbon hit. Spicy notes add depth.

Cons: Too sweet - increase the alcohol content (beefier yeast) or drop the sugar. Decreased drink-ability due to it being too sweet for my taste.

Note: After going to Small Town Brewery's website, I see that they showcase a 10% AND 19.5% beverage in the same vein (ale with spices). I would love to get my hands on that and compare the three. I would like to determine if the increased ABV knocks the sweetness down. The draft options sound tasty as well: chocolate porter and apple pie beer. If you make it out to Chicago, or live there now and want to give input, I'd love to hear it.

Peace out, suckas!

3 comments:

  1. I think Root Beer must be an acquired taste. After you guys all told me it was delicious, I tried some at Chipotle and it was awful LOL I think I'll stick to Coke :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have become picky with my root beer as I age. Most I do not like, but if you can get your hands on Virgil's or Honest Fizz root beer, those are both tasty.

      Delete
  2. I will have to see if they are available in Australia.

    Dee :)

    ReplyDelete