Thursday, June 25, 2015

Oak Aged Mocha Stout - Review

Have you ever been stumbling around, only to find yourself tripping over a real gem? Well, I just did.

Tonight.

In my fridge.

I forgot that I bought this. It kept getting moved further and further back in my fridge (and I have a small fridge, how it got lost is a mystery). Today, I guess, was the day I was supposed to celebrate life with this delightful capturing of tasty malts, smooth coffee, and delectable chocolate. Welcome Peak Organic's Oak Aged Mocha Stout to your table, everyone.

Peak Organic Oak Aged Mocha Stout

I don't know about you but dark beers do it for me (unlike Prince Valium). The complex and arousing notes fill my tongue and nose with joy and in no way put my taste buds to sleep

After you open the bottle and take a nice deep nose-worth, you get a whiff of coffee and the undertones of malt. Dark chocolate hits you at the end. Taking a sip gives a smooth mouth feel, at first, with a strong, yet not overpowering, low-acid coffee flavor. You then get the vanilla (from the oak) followed by dark chocolate (comparable in flavor to the Ghiradelli 60% Cacao bittersweet chips) in a just-sweet-enough offering. Once it passes over your tongue completely, the oak kicks back in and you get the signature 'tannin mouthfeel' as you do in red wines. Very little bitter. The top notes (coffee and chocolate) linger for a few moments...

Just long enough for your hand to pick that delivery vessel back up again and get it to your mouth for another reminder that you made the right beverage choice tonight.

Perhaps I was a scoche over-dramatic. What can I say, I felt like using my creative writing skills I learned in high school. I promise you though that it is every bit as good as I made it sound. This is a great treat for you dark beer lovers, coffee drinkers, and purveyors of fine chocolate, and hope you consider picking up a bottle the next time it becomes available in your neck of the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment